U12's qualify for Feis Final

Thursday, June 23, 2011

U-12ís qualify for Feis Ground skills Final

St Brendanís u-12ís qualified from a tough group in last nightís qualifying for the Feis ground skills competition. The group consisted of Glenshesk, Glenariffe, Rasharkin and St Brendanís.

Our opening game in this quick fire format was against the Hosting Glenariffe side. We were quickly into our stride in the opening half (each half 5 mins!). James Morgan hit the net with a pile driver half way through the first half and this was followed up with a Connor Mc Hugh free. Ronan in goals had to be sharp and was having a good game and was getting good length on his puck outs.  Glenariffe came out in the second half with all guns blazing but Niall Mc Cormick, Ryan Mc Farline and James Brown were having a good game in defence. With one minute left on the clock   David Kilgore scored a fine point to leave us winners on a score line of 1-2 to 0-1.

Next game was against a very formidable Glenshesk team. Once again we started very strongly and piled the pressure on the Glenshesk team, forcing them to make errors. These errors resulted in a string of frees (taken from the ground) which we just couldnít convert. Jack and Odhran were having a great game in the middle of the park but we still couldnít get a score. Midway through the second half we were caught with the inevitable sucker punch when we conceded a free 30 yards from goal (Smiley thought he was back at Northend United!!)and Glenshesk scored a super point from it. We piled on the pressure again and introduced Aiden Dunne and Fintan to try and get a breakthrough but we got caught on the counter attack and lost by 0-2 to no score in a very frustrating game.

Our Final game was against Rasharkin and our lads were certainly revved up for the challenge. This was a must win game and from the start we were on top getting some good balls into the forwards, Conleth, Jack and David. Once again we were getting frustrated with many missed chances before David scored a fine goal. We led at half time by 1-0 to no score. James scored his second of the evening just after the break to give us a two goal lead but we still managed to keep the pressure on the opponents. The game was nearly over when we scored the best goal of the night. David Kilgore with some quick thinking played a sideline cut directly to Connor Mc Hugh who hit a rasping shot past the goalie to give us an unbeatable lead. Final score 3-0 to no score.

We have now qualified for the final against Glenshesk, which will be played on Feis Sunday. Well done lads.